Saturday, October 10, 2015

Top 5 Things to Love at Ludington State Park

If you like to camp and have never been to Ludington State Park - this is a must - you need to get out there!

A couple of weeks ago Mark and I spent a few nights at Ludington State Park camping.  Although some of our friends have upgraded to campers, we actually enjoy tenting.  I've upgraded our equipment, with a giant tent and nice air mattresses.  And in the cool evenings, we have a small heater inside our tent.  No roughing it for us!

Ludington State Park is one of the largest state parks in Michigan.  I've been visiting the park ever since I was a kid. My grandpa used to salmon fish there, back when snagging salmon was legal.  Today the salmon still run in the park, although not in the numbers they used to.
My grandpa doing what he loved - Fishing at Ludington State Park!
But I can't say enough how much I love Ludington State Park!  So here's the top 5 things to love about it:

1.  Hiking - I understand there are 18 miles of varied and well-marked trails within the state park.

Ludington State Park Trail Guide Map

 2.  Biking - Ludington State Park has miles of biking trails.  There are paved bike trails between each of the camping loops.  There's also a hard-packed trail to the lighthouse (might be difficult with a road bike/10 speed).  And you can bike along the drive into the park.  For sure if you are going to Ludington State Park- bring your bikes!




3.  The Lighthouse - about a mile and a half away in the park is the Big Sable Point lighthouse.
there's a few stairs to climb!
You can climb up it for $5, however if you are at all nervous about heights or tight spaces, you might want to skip this. But if you DO climb up it, the view is amazing!



Me and the hubs at the top!  Amazing view!



Hamlin Lake - Boat Rentals in the park
4.  Fishing - there are multiple fishing opportunities within Ludington State Park.  Hamlin Lake has boat rentals within the park, Lake Michigan has fishing opportunities and there's a channel between Hamlin Lake and Lake Michigan which is full of salmon running during the fall.

When we were there a few weeks ago the salmon had not started running yet.
Fishing report:  http://www.visitludington.com/stories/current_ludington_fishing_reports


5.  It's close by - Ludington State Park is about 2 hours northwest of Grand Rapids.  Once you get on Highway 31 there are signs for the correct exit to get off on.  If you follow the signs, you can't miss it.

Coming through downtown Ludington, follow Ludington Avenue to the end, and turn right onto N. Lakeshore Drive. Follow this until the fork in the road, and keep left onto M-116. This takes you along Lake Michigan and out to the State Park.


I hope you have an opportunity to visit Ludington State Park!  It's one of the many jewels of Michigan.  If you want to camp there, sign up right at the beginning of the 6 month window.  Or, go at an off-time, like fall.  camping reservations:
https://www.midnrreservations.com/LUDINGTONSTATEPARK

4 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

Hello Cindy! This is a wonderful post showing all the activities and scenic views in Ludington State Park. I see you are a law student which means you are in the books much of the time so getting out to hike and bike is a great stress reliever. And I would LOVE to be able to keep some chickens here, but it isn't allowed.. Thank you so much for linking into Nature Notes. I am sorry I am late visiting... Michelle

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I always wanted to go to Ludington. I think there is a fairy across the lake to Wisconsin. I think it would be a cool trip but I could never convince my husband that he would enjoy it.

Cindy L said...

Thanks for stopping by Michelle - I love looking at these pictures! Summer is such a wonderful time in Michigan!

Cindy L said...

Yes, there are 2 boats that make the trip daily over to Michigan - sounds like a girls weekend! Thanks for stopping by!

Follow me on BlogLovin!

Follow
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...