Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Monarch Caterpillars are Growing...

Yes, I have bugs in my house.
No, I'm not 12.  It's more of an experiment.
Per my previous post, I am raising monarch butterfly caterpillars with the hopes that they will form cocoons and turn into butterflies.
monarch
It only takes 2 weeks for a newly hatched caterpillar to grow... then form its cocoon.
The tiny baby caterpillars are now medium sized.  And the medium one I found outside on the milkweed in my front yard has been happily munching away in the aquarium I have him in, filled with freshly cut milkweed leaves.  That thing can EAT!  munch munch munch!  He's about the size of my little finger.  
butterfly
Stay tuned and let's see what comes next!
      Yes, I have bugs in my living room.

4 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh, this is so wonderful. I never knew what Monarch Caterpillers looked like. The other day I found the most gorgeous caterpiller on the back porch. Very wooly, all yellow with a few wonderful feeler type things on its back. I put him back in the weed patch. I was thinking what a beautiful moth or butterfly he would be. I was busy working and didn't get a pic. Wish I had.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Ok, so here I am again. Googles yellow wooly caterpiller in northern Indiana. Was a Dagger Moth caterpiller which grows into a rather ugly grey moth. The antenna looking things can give you hives when touched which was exactly how I picked him up. Guess it was a good thing I washed my hands. Still feel good about saving him.

Mama Zen said...

That is so cool!

Cindy L said...

Carol I've never seen those yellow caterpillars before.

Follow me on BlogLovin!

Follow
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...