Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Houdini Caterpillar

Ok, what's wrong with this picture?

Well, besides the fact that I'm supposed to be studying for exams this week instead of posting on my blog....


One of my monarch caterpillars got out of the aquarium (that's in our living room) and decided to start making a chrysalis under the lip of the fireplace.
The caterpillar will hang in this "J" formation for roughly 12 hours, then it takes about one hour to fully pupate -- spin its green chrysalis.

That makes 3.



For a funny post about a similar caterpillar situation, visit here:
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2013/01/20/oh-those-crazy-chrysalises-bringing-caterpillars-inside-can-result-in-chrysalises-in-surprising-places/




6 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm just not sure I'd like that situation in my living room. And what about when it emerges. I can see my 3 dogs chasing a butterfly around the house...they would chase it for sure...100%. I live in a circus.

And how the heck did that caterpiller crawl out of the cage and up to the fireplace. You would think it would find some other place to stop on THAT journey!
xx, Carol

eileeninmd said...

Oh wow, I guess it had to stay there too. I hope all is well with the Monarch caterpillar. Great post! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

Margaret Adamson said...

That is an interesting site for it

Gayle said...

Waiting for the post of the resulting butterfly.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Looks like things are going well...'hung by the chimney with care!"
~

bettyl-NZ said...

Nature is certainly amazing. Your photos are lovely.

Follow me on BlogLovin!

Follow
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...