Monday, August 3, 2015

Don't rush perfection - Why is that egg tiny?

I've been very proud of my girls.  We get between 3 and 6 eggs a day from them, and they are usually perfect.
Today, however, my 6 hens laid 5 eggs, but one of them was TINY!  This is the first time this has happened!  Doing a little bit of reading, I think the STORM we had last night might have upset her!  Yes, it makes perfect sense.  We had a storm with 50 mph winds, tons of lightening.  I'm sure my babies were scared.
Tomorrow she'll be back to normal. 
From my reading:
Q: My hen laid a teeny tiny egg, and when I cracked it open, there was no yolk! Should I be concerned?
A: Awww, isn't that cute! Tiny, yolkless eggs are sometimes known as witch eggs or fairy eggs. Occasionally a hen will lay a fairy egg when something has disturbed her reproductive cycle. ...  
Source:  http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/My-hen-laid-a-teeny-tiny-egg-and-when-I-cracked-H116.aspx


Occasionally a hen will get a "hiccup" which pretty much is she got bothered and it messed up her egg cycle this normally clears up within a day and she's back on her regular cycle.

Did she get a bit of a scare recently?

Did she stop laying for a few days and then start again? if so she may have just stopped and started up again and need to "get back in the groove".

Did you add a knew member to the flock?  Has there been any squabbles that have been a little bigger then a peck away from the feeder?

These eggs come small (this one even had a yolk.)


 Source:  http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/825374/why-did-she-lay-a-very-small-egg-today

1 comment:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I think the fairies are going to be mad that you swiped their egg! They probably had an agreement with the hen,) what did you say her name is), that she would give them an egg and they would leave some fairy dust. Do fairies take revenge..oh well, how bad could it be? lol.

Interesting post. I never knew this happens. I'll have to ask my husband. He raised chickens when he was a kid. He's such a farm boy at heart still.
xx, Carol

Follow me on BlogLovin!

Follow
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...