Friday, June 26, 2015

Cold Frame or Cat Sauna?

Some day I'd like to have a small cold frame. 
What it is:  
Living in cold west Michigan, zones 5 and 6, means our growing season is very short. A cold frame would help extend the season by a few weeks in the spring and the same toward the fall. My mom always had one for as long as I can remember. In fact, now she has two. Basically its a box made of wood, glass or plastic
or a combination of both, and it protects tender plants from frost and cooler temperatures. No, you won't be able to grow lettuce in the middle of winter, but the extra weeks of growing time are needed in Michigan!
Here's a great post from Chiots Run blog with more details and some humor.
http://chiotsrun.com/category/cold-frame/

Cold Frame or Cat Sauna?

March 30th, 2011
A few years ago Mr Chiots and I built a cold frame for the garden. It’s really nice, but it doesn’t face south, so it doesn’t get as much sun as it should. But shade loving crops like lettuces overwinter well in it. I also use it for overwintering cuttings and plants I’m trying to propagate. This winter it housed some boxwood cuttings along with some lettuce and spinach.

My cold frame has a very convenient Automatic Cold Frame Opener
that opens when it’s warm to keep it from overheating. This is a great feature, I’d highly recommend getting one if you have a cold frame. I like that I don’t have to worry about monitoring the temperature, which is especially nice when I’m not home on a warm day!

I noticed yesterday when I went out that Miss Mama was sleeping in the cold frame. I guess when the lid pops open she heads in there to take a nap. I got a good chuckle out of that, it’s like her own little spa in there. I bet it feels really nice on these cold 30 degree days to sit inside a sunny 75 degree humid cold frame!
Do you have a cold frame, does is have an auto hinge? Do your outdoor animals bring you comic relief?

1 comment:

Carole West said...

I have a covered raised bed to keep the animals out and then when winter hits I can cover it with plastic to extend the life on my fall garden. I'm in North Texas - I love that picture of your cat - it looks very content.

Carole @ Garden Up Green

Follow me on BlogLovin!

Follow
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...