Sunday, May 3, 2015

An EARTHQUAKE in Michigan

Yesterday we had a 4.2 magnitude earthquake in West Michigan.
I was sitting on my couch around 12:30pm flipping through the TV channels when suddenly the house started rattling quite loudly. My reaction was "WHAT IS THAT?!"  And then I ran outside.

My husband thought it was a low-flying helicopter overhead.  But we didn't hear it flying away.  "That's an earthquake" I said, waiting for aftershocks.  Not all earthquakes have aftershocks, and we never did feel any.

I immediately went to facebook to see if any of the news stations had posted any reports.  My friend Mechelle was the first to announce "HOLY EARTHQUAKE!" 

And that confirmed it.  (thanks Mechelle). Mechelle lives near the epicenter of Galesburg which is down by Kalamazoo.
This was my "first earthquake" although Michigan gets them from time to time.  Yesterday's earthquake was the second strongest in Michigan ever recorded.  

Some people think that a recent increase in earthquakes is caused by fracking.  The United States Geologic Survey states:

Induced Seismicity
As is the case elsewhere in the world, there is evidence that some central and eastern North America earthquakes have been triggered or caused by human activities that have altered the stress conditions in earth's crust sufficiently to induce faulting. Activities that have induced felt earthquakes in some geologic environments have included impoundment of water behind dams, injection of fluid into the earth's crust, extraction of fluid or gas, and removal of rock in mining or quarrying operations. In much of eastern and central North America, the number of earthquakes suspected of having been induced is much smaller than the number of natural earthquakes, but in some regions, such as the south-central states of the U.S., a significant majority of recent earthquakes are thought by many seismologists to have been human-induced.1
So that was the excitement from yesterday.  Several of my friends were driving when it happened didn't feel it. Actually, it was pretty cool -- but only because we're in Michigan and know that earthquakes don't cause major damage here. But it's also a scary thing.  The recent Nepal earthquake was 7.8 magnitude and killed over 2,000 people (some reports say over 7,000 people!).  That earthquake also triggered avalanches on Mount Everest (140 miles away) killing many climbers.  Events like this are a reminder that life is precious and often unpredictable.  Did you feel the earthquake?   
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us20002avh#general_summary

1 comment:

RubyBlue said...

Im in Grand Ledge and did not feel it. I was vaccuming out the car seeing that I was subjecting my body to positions I havent tried in awhile I never felt the earthquake.It waslretty strong my sister is in Sumner (close to Alma area Crystal lake) her kitchen table bounced up and down and dishes fell out of cupboards quite exciting for our state. the earthquake I felt was the next day watching my 4 year old grandson-never a dull moment with him!

Follow me on BlogLovin!

Follow
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...